Ever since H has started learning alphabets, she has showed keen interest in spelling and writing her name. In fact, for her, H doesn’t stand for horse or house but for Hiyashaa. She was so excited to know that even her name has a place in alphabets. Every time she spotted H, she would shout “H for Hiyashaa!” with pride and happiness. Although I didn’t encourage her into writing alphabets so early considering the tender muscles of her hands, but definitely decided to teach her how to spell her name. Soon, I had a happy girl, who was thoroughly enjoying showing off her skills at spelling her name… H I Y A S H A A!
The first step towards teaching kids how to spell their name is to help them recognize their name. The easiest way to do this is by putting their name almost everywhere. Label all their belongings, hang some placards with their name in their room, include the spelling of their name in your games and activities etc. In short, let them own the alphabets in their names. They will soon start recognizing that particular group of letters as their name. Once they start recognising the letters, spelling the name will be a natural progression.
Here are some easy and fun activities to teach your children how to spell their names:
- Make a name bracelet with them. Let them choose the letters in their name and then help them string the beads in order. The bracelet will be a constant reminder of the spelling.
- Play a stamp your name game with them.
- Type your name: Use your computer the right way and ask your kids to type their name.
- Letter Magnets are the easiest and the most handy to teach your kids how to spell their name.
- Make up a silly song or use your child’s fav rhyme to spell out their name. We do that on the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star!
- How about a name practice water game? Label small buckets with letters in your child name. Now, let him target them with a hose pipe in the right sequence!
- Make a quick name puzzle and let them unscramble it to find their name as they solve the puzzle!
Soon, I was battling with a new request. Questions like, “Mumma, how do I write H?” followed with, “Mumma, how do I write Hiyashaa?” are her fav these days. Watch this space for some fun and easy ways to teach your kids how to write their names.