Constipation is one of the most common problems among kids. Even we are in a constant battle with potty every since H was born. My husband calls me Potty minister! So, if you too eagerly wait for your child to poop every morning or for that matter at least once a day, this post is a must-read for you.
Symptoms of constipation:
– Passing stool less than three times in a week.
– Hard stool, difficulty in passing.
– Painful bowel movement
– Abdominal pain
– Blood on the surface of stool
Home remedies to treat constipation in kids:
1. For babies under 6 months: Formula fed kids are usually constipated. Make sure you give them 30 ml – 60 ml of water at least twice a day.
For kids over 6 months, you can do the following dietary changes:
2. Increase fluids in your child’s diet. Water is the best but you can also give diluted juices but avoid sugary and fizzy drinks.
3.Give them fruits like pear, papaya, prunes and peach.
4. Food with high fiber content also helps in treating constipation. Include stuff like beans, apricots, legumes, spinach, apple, ripe bananas, oranges, figs, broccoli, sweet corn and peas. Make sure you include at least 1 cup each of fruit and vegetable in your child’s diet. Increase fibre gradually in the diet.
5. Replace whites. Go for whole wheat bread instead of white, unpolished rice, bran flakes, oatmeal, chapati.
6. Porridge (daliya/ lapsi) also helps treating the situation.
7.Mild constipation can also be treated by giving your kid a spoonful of honey.
8. Begin the day with a glass of warm water.
9. Raisin and Raisin water: Soak 4-5 raisins in water overnight. In the morning, crush the rasins in the water and give the mixture to the kid.
10. Sugar solution made by mixing 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in 1 ounce of water can be given thrice a day.
10. Pineapple juice is a natural laxative
11. Develop a regular meal schedule.
12. Grapes are also beneficial.
13. Avoid refined food and processed foods including biscuits, pastas etc.
14. Make sure your kid is active. For younger kids, do leg bicycling.
15. Don’t force the kid to potty train. Let it be a gradual transition.
16. However, having a set toilet time is recommended.
17. Massaging the tummy in clockwise direction can also help relieve constipation.
18. If you are giving milk. Add 2-3 teaspoons of sugar / honey to it and give this first thing to the baby.
19. Avoid cow’s milk as it is tough to digest.
20. A warm bath also helps in relaxing the intestines.
If the situation doesn’t improve, please meet the doctor.